Updated 01 September 2011
UCAS and our Group of Companies, which means UCAS and its subsidiaries from time to time and their subsidiaries, ("we", "us", "our" or "UCAS" as the context requires) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
- "data controller" is UCAS, UCAS Media Limited and/or any of UCAS Group of Companies from time to time.
- "website" is www.ucasprogress.com or any other website, RSS feed or phone application operated by us from time to time.
1. Information which we collect about you
1.1 We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information which you provide to us from any of the input areas within the website.
- Information which you provide to us by any other means including (without limitation) telephone, fax or post.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
2. How we use your personal information
2.1 We use personal information held about you in the following ways:
- to allow you to participate in any interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- to notify you about changes to our service.
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- to keep you informed (with your consent) by electronic means, or other means, of information about specific funding, sponsorship opportunities or services and products that we think may be of interest to you.
- to provide you (unless you object) with general information relevant to students.
- for research and statistics about visitors, traffic patterns, answers to questions, content entered and related website information which may be provided to reputable and reliable third parties. The information used for these purposes is aggregated (ie combined with other user data) and anonymised (so that no individual is identified)
- 2.2 Where you use our website to favourite courses, we may invite you to participate in surveys intended to assist us in the development of our services or for enhancement of areas of study in which you have expressed interest. Whilst your views will be welcome to us, there is no obligation for you to respond. You will be given details of the purpose of the survey and the parties who will undertake it.
- 2.3 We may share personal information we have collected, or which you subsequently supply to us, with the staff of the provider you have previously or currently attend as a student. More detail of the parties with whom some or all of your information will shared is set out in our data protection statement which forms part of the declaration.
- 2.4 UCAS will cooperate, where it is required to do so, with enquiries from authorities which demonstrate a legal requirement for access to information about you. These include, but are not limited to: the Police, the UK Border Agency and investigators on behalf of other agencies.
3. Communicating with you
- 3.1 The information we collect about you will include (without limitation) your name; postal and email address; and telephone numbers, both home and mobile. If any of these details change, it is important that you tell us straight away so that we can communicate with you.
- 3.2 We will normally communicate with you by electronic means.
- 3.3 You may contact us by any of the methods set out on our Feedback page of the website. If you have any questions about our use of your personal data, please write to the Company Secretary at UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos GL52 3LZ.
4. Mailings and sales information
- 4.1 From time to time we may use your personal information to send you general information ("Mailings") by post, email or SMS, such as (without limitation), information relating to health issues; or career information which is relevant to your chosen subjects.
- 4.3 If you do not wish your personal information to be used for us to send you sales information by post you must ensure that you tick the appropriate box on the registration page.
- 4.4 You should tick the appropriate boxes on the registration page if you wish to receive Marketing Information by text, email or both.
- 4.5 You may, at any time, withdraw your permission for UCAS to use your personal information for the purposes of sending mailings or sales information by ticking on the appropriate boxes in the Account section , or by writing to the Company Secretary, UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos GL52 3LZ.
5. IP addresses, cookies and links
- 5.1 We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify you as an individual.
- 5.4 The website may contain links that make it easy for you to visit other websites. UCAS does not have any control over these websites. Therefore, if you use these links to leave UCAS and visit websites operated by third parties, UCAS cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide whilst visiting these websites.
6. Your right to ask to see the information we hold about you
- 6.1 Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you may request for us to provide you with details of personal information that we hold about you. If you want to make a request for this information you should write to our Company Secretary at the address given in section 3.3 above. There will be a fee of £10 payable to UCAS. A cheque for this amount should be sent to UCAS with your request for information.
- 6.2 If you request us to do so we will consider making changes to the information that we hold about you. We will change certain limited information that we hold about you where you tell us it is incorrect. If you believe any such information is incorrect or contains any errors or mistakes, you must contact the staff of the provider you have previously or currently attend as a student