The Basketball Academy at Bury St Edmunds County Upper School
County Upper School Basketball Academy will cater for students between the ages of 16 and 19 who
show high levels of playing ability at basketball. They will receive specialist coaching alongside a full
academic programme in the school’s sixth form.The Academy works alongside local National League clubs to enable students to play competitively in school and club competition. In addition the Academy receives support from Bury Physio and a professional performance coach helping all athletes stay healthy and to reach their basketball potential.
The Academy Director, Darren Johnson, has coached teams in the Euroleague, the Northern European
Basketball League, the British Basketball League the NCAA D1, NCAA D2 and NJCAA D2 in the United States. He has also helped develop players who are currently playing at college in America and professionally in Europe and is currently the East of England Boys U15 APC Assistant Coach.
Academy students will receive the following commitment from the school
- Provision of a wide range of academic courses
- A high quality coaching programme, run by an experienced coach
- Personalised strength and conditioning programmes
- An annual tour to either Europe or the USA
- Support and advice on playing and educational options post 19 in Europe, the USA and the UK
- Athlete education and lifestyle mentoring
- Access to coaching and officiating courses
- Support in all aspects of the development side of basketball
What will be expected of the Academy students?
- Commitment to their academic programme
- Attendance at all practice sessions and games
- Participation in National League basketball for a club within the East of England
- Adherence to the schools codes of conduct
Selection will be based on both playing ability and academic achievement. Students will normally be playing at National League level and must have achieved the academic standards for entry into the sixth form. Please direct any enquiries to the Academy Director at the school.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bury St Edmunds County Upper School directly.
Last updated date: 22 January 2013