Information Technology BTEC Subsidiary/Extended Diploma Level 3 at City College Plymouth
Interested in a career in Computing? Unsure about exactly which area to focus on? Then this study programme is the one for you! In the first year you will gain a basic understanding of all areas of Computing, before progressing to the second year, where you will focus on your chosen subject - hardware, software or networking. The diploma part of this course allows you to hone your skills in your specific subject to allow you to progress into higher education or employment with ease.
The subsidiary diploma includes the following subject areas:
• maintaining computer systems
• communications and network technology.
The extended diploma consists of a wide range of subject areas (dependent upon your subject focus), including:
• network management
• software development
• system support.
There is also a opportunity to complete functional skills in English and maths at level 2.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this level of course you will need one of the following:
- four to five GCSEs at grades A*-C (including English and maths)
- an intermediate GNVQ in a related subject
- a BTEC first diploma in a related subject
- an NVQ Level 2/technical certificate in a related subject
- successful completion of an Apprenticeship course
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
A variety of assessment methods are used, including time constrained assessments, assignments, case studies, observations and projects. There are exams for functional skills.
On successful completion of the extended diploma you may progress to:
- the Foundation Degree in Software Development at the College,
- a variety of level 4/5 computing degrees
- employment as, for example, an IT technician, a web designer, a network technician, a help desk support assistant, an application developer, a database designer, a systems analyst or a basic project planner.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.