National Diploma / Certificate in Childrens Care Learning and Development at Coleg Sir Gar
- A two year internationally recognised qualification where theory and practice are closely integrated.
- A total of 800 hours of practical placement training in four different settings will be experienced.
- Diploma students study 1080 guided learning hours, Certificate students study 720 guided learning hours.
- Both courses include Core and Option modules such as Promoting Children's Rights and Design Technology and Supporting Literacy/Numeracy
- Students will alsoÂ study forÂ Basic First Aid and Food Hygiene training.
- Bilingual students can complete assignments/work experience in their preferred language.
- Students will also study for the six Key Skills during the two year period.
- These qualifications provide access into employment or a vocational progression route into higher education.
- Students completing the NationalÂ Diploma will also be offered the Welsh Bacclaureate at Level 3.
The Edexcel National Diploma/Certificate courses both provide knowledge and understanding of childcare and education to enable individuals to gain a nationally recognised, vocationally specific qualification to enter employment or Higher Education. It is an ideal programme for those who have achieved 5 GCSEs at C grades or above for the National Diploma or 4 GCSEs at C grades or above for the National Certificate or an appropriate Level 2 qualification. Students attend college and placement on alternate weeks throughout the 2 year programme.
National Diploma: 5 GCSEs at C grades or above. National Certificate: 4 GCSEs at C grades or above. Mature applicants without formal qualifications might be considered at the discretion of the Course Tutor. Satisfactory interview, reference and enhanced CRB check.
Assessments take the form of assignments which are made up of a variety of tasks that provide scope for the learner to achieve Pass, Merit and Distinction grades. All unit grades contribute to the final Certificate or Diploma. The assignment formats could be essays, presentations and practical work. There are no formal examinations with these BTEC courses.
Successful completion of the National Diploma/Certificate courses can lead to employment with young children in a variety of childcare settings e.g. Primary and Nursery Schools, Childrens Centres, Day Nurseries, Additional Needs provisions and Holiday Representatives. The National Diploma also provides an excellent basis for progression to Higher Education e.g. Degrees in Primary Teaching, Social Inclusion, Early Years Foundation/Full Degree programmes and degrees in related subjects. If you wish to study for Teaching or Nursing you must have GCSE English, Maths and Science A* - C grades.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.