History A Level at John Hampden Grammar School
History concerns change or continuity, the expected or the unexpected, success or failure. It seeks to find motive and explanation for the actions of real human beings at a given point in time.
The syllabus concentrates on aspects of British and European/World history from the 19th and 20th centuries. There are four modules:
- One module on British History in the 20th Century. We aim to study Liberals, Conservatives and The Rise of Labour: Britain 1846-1918.
- One module on European/World History. We aim to study Apartheid and Reconciliation: South African Politics 1948–1999.
- One module on The Challenge of German Nationalism 1789-1919. This is both a source based and an essay course.
- One module which is a historical enquiry on coursework, based on Nineteenth and Twentieth century Ireland.
Our entry requirements are as follows – all of these requirements must be met:
- A minimum of 7 GCSE full course passes at a C grade or higher
- A minimum GCSE total points score of 344 based on the best 8 full course separate subject GCSE passes
- A minimum C grade in English Language and Mathematics
- B in History GCSE
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Hampden Grammar School directly.