Chemistry A Level at Bitterne Park School
Students will develop knowledge and understanding of Chemistry concepts, via a context-led approach, where students learn about each idea in a way that links with real-life scientific processes.
Topics in this course are:
- Elements of Life: (AS/A level) Elements and compounds in the universe, the body and salts
- Developing Fuels: (AS/A level) The contribution that chemists make to development of better fuels
- Elements from the Sea: (AS/A level) Extraction of halogens from the sea, properties and their uses
- The Ozone Story: (AS/A level) Processes occurring in the ozone layer
- What’s in a Medicine? (AS/A level) Medicines such as aspirin, and methods of analysis A Level only
- The Chemical Industry, Polymers and life, OceanDeveloping Metals, Colour by Design
Why this course?
AS Chemistry provides a challenging, mathematical and practical opportunity to further study some key topics from GCSE Chemistry such as: developing fuels for the future, atomic structure and the Periodic Table, properties and uses of elements and compounds. Chemistry is regarded by Russell Group Universities as a ‘facilitating subject’ which leads to a wider range of degree choices.
5 GCSE grade C or above, including English, Maths (preferably a B or above), and either:
- GCSE Chemistry and either GCSE Biology or GCSE Physics – both at grade B or above
- GCSE Core and Additional Science – both at grade B or above
For pupils with C/pass Science grades, a letter of recommendation from their KS4 Science teacher would be required.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bitterne Park School directly.