Photography Diploma Level 2 at Rotherham College
The director calling ‘lights, camera, action’. The actors and actresses collecting all the gongs. The influential radio presenter playing the latest hits. They would all be nothing without the technical production crew operating the cameras, co-ordinating the lights or recording the sound.
Our media and photography courses will build your knowledge and skills to prepare you for a career in animation, production (film, TV and radio) and visual communications (graphics, photography and design). With cutting-edge facilities that replicate those out in industry, you’ll use state-of-the-art equipment and be taught by experienced media and photography professionals. You’ll work as part of a media team to produce work for real clients such as Sheffield Live, former international football referee Howard Webb, and The Makers Emporium in Rotherham.
There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with enrichment activities: trips to attractions such as Media City, BBC Broadcasting House and London.
The course has an emphasis on practical,hands-on work. You will be introduced to visual concepts such as composition, perspective and experimenting with the creative potential of the photographic medium. Through a varied and exciting range of different assignments, you will start to develop your own visual language and build a creative portfolio. You will be introduced to the work of key historical and contemporary photographers and artists, which will influence and inform your personal and creative development. You will work on live client briefs, such as producing advertising stills for commercial clients and working with models to produce look books. Your work will be exhibited in the photography festival, published on our online photography website gallery and your work will be entered into national and global competitions.
What will I study?
• Studio photography • Fashion photography
• Portrait photography
• Fine art photography
• Experimental photography
• Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere
• Darkroom practice
• 35mm film photography
• Digital photography
• You will create a professional portfolio for progression onto Level 3 Photography
What added value will I receive?
• On this course you will work with industry standard facilities and be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a creative practitioner
• You will have access to our professional studios, darkroom, digital editing suites, scanning stations, large format printing, Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras, 35mm, medium format and larger format cameras and full Adobe Creative Suite
• Your work will be entered into national and global competitions •Each year our students participate in field trips which have included visits to Madrid, London, the Peak District as well as visits to national galleries and photography festivals
• Two GCSEs at grade D or above including an arts related qualification
• A portfolio of art and design work
• Written and practical assignments
• Regular tutor feedback
16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees. Depending on your circumstances you may not need to pay fees. Contact the Enquiries on the details below for advice and guidance on:
T: 01709 722777
This course will give you the technical and creative skills necessary to progress onto the Photography Diploma Level 3.
For more details please contact the Enquiry Team on:
T: 01709 722777
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.