Geography A Level at QE Academy Trust
This is an exciting new course which focuses on global geographical issues around the environment, development, pollution, resources, hazards and the economy. It is relevant and extremely topical. It will provide you with a wide range of transferable skills that employers are increasingly demanding. If you are interested in the world you live in and your place in it, then this is the course for you.
Geography can be taken as a one year AS course in Y12 or a full two year A level course over Y12 and 13. It will make a great contribution to your key skills with data handling, numeracy, IT applications using computer mapping and databases an important part of the course. It is a key facilitating A Level that Russel Group universities encourage students to take.
There will be a 4 day residential field course during Y12 to prepare for your coursework investigation worth 20% of the A Level. In addition there will be a number of local field days during the course.
THE ADVANCED LEVEL COURSE:
UNIT 1: Dynamic Landscapes and Sustainability (worth 40% of the A level)
Tectonic processes and hazards, landscape systems and coastal management, the water cycle and water insecurity, the carbon cycle and energy insecurity, climate change futures
UNIT 2 Dynamic Places and Geopolitics (worth 40% of the A level) Globalisation, shaping places: rural and urban rebranding strategies, superpowers and the rise of the BRIC’s, global connections: international migration issues and global futures.
UNIT 3 Independent Fieldwork Investigation (worth 20% of the A level) A fieldwork investigation using quantitative and qualitative data based on the work done on the residential field course. This is to be up to 3,000 words and include maps, photos and diagrams.
- One year AS course (Y 12): 2 x 1 hour 30 minute exam papers in May of Y12.
- Two year A Level course (Y12 and 13): 2 x 2hour exam papers in June Y13 and a 3,000 word coursework investigation.
-The Year 12 AS course is of intermediate difficulty between a GCSE and the full A Level in Geography.
- The AS exam papers in Y12 are data response questions where you answer in spaces on the exam paper like in GCSE.
- The A Level papers in Y13 require longer, more involved answers.
Why should you take this subject?
- It will provide knowledge and skills for life, whatever you decide to do after school.
- It is a very popular and successful course with very favourable student evaluations.
- For a number of years the subject has achieved exceptional examination results including some of the best in the country last year.
- Many students have continued to study the subject at university, where it can be studied as an art or science.
- Geography graduates are in the top five subjects for employability after university.
- Most of all, the course is stimulating and relevant to the modern world.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact QE Academy Trust directly.