Religious Studies A-level at Stratford Girls' Grammar School
Religious Studies: Philosophy, Ethics & Theology A-level
In this subject we examine life and the nature of knowledge.
· In the Philosophy unit you will study arguments for and against the existence of God and debates surrounding the nature of soul, mind and body, among other topics. You will explore philosophical ideas developed by major thinkers including Plato, Wittgenstein and Dawkins
· In the Ethics unit you will study ethical theories and issues. You will learn about concepts such as free will and conscience, as well as the works of scholars like Kant and Freud, applying them to sex, euthanasia and other matters
· In the Developments in Religious Thought unit you will explore the ways in which Christianity has developed and responded to challenges and contemporary social issues. This will include the study of Secularism, Pluralism, Liberation and Feminist Theology
- Develop confidence in the rigorous study of philosophy, ethics and theology and relate it to the wider world
- Develop your knowledge and understanding appropriate to a specialist study of philosophy, ethics and theology
- Adopt an enquiring, critical and reflective approach
- Reflect on and develop your own values, opinions and attitudes in the light of your study
Religious Studies GCSE grade B or above would provide an indication of interest and ability to meet the demands of the course. Other subject grades will be considered if you have not had studied RS at GCSE. It is preferable (although not essential) to have English GCSE grade B or above
Each of the three units will be assessed by a two-hour exam at the end of the course.
You may wish to buy recommended revision guides and subscriptions. You may also be asked to pay for RS-related trips and events. Financial assistance will be available.
Religious Studies is a well-regarded, rigorous academic subject that appeals to universities and employers. Enjoyable and challenging in itself, it is also a useful subject for those considering a career in medicine, law, journalism, business, politics, teaching ... in fact, any field in which you need to think critically and develop coherent arguments.
Religious Studies complements other arts and science-based subjects. The Russell Group of universities has identified RS as providing suitable preparation for entry to university along with other subjects like Economics. Past RS pupils have studied a variety of subjects at top universities. Recent destinations for our pupils include Cambridge, Manchester and Edinburgh
The course is taught by specialist teachers, who have masters-level qualifications and many years of experience, including examining for this exam board. In RS there’s vigorous debate and deep reflection on many of life’s big questions. You will also be able to take part in study days and attend conferences.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stratford Girls' Grammar School directly.