Accessibility links

Art at Beechen Cliff School

Course description

AS level At AS level, there are 2 units of work:Unit 1 – Coursework, worth 25%. This is a folder of work that is presented for external moderation via an exhibition of work in June. The coursework is divided into areas of research presently consisting of the following-the landscape, the portrait and people in the environment, the still life and a personal project. Practical work is 75% of the mark with the other 25% of the mark being critical appreciation of relevant artists.The marks are awarded for:Drawing and development of initial ideasCritical appreciation of relevant artists and artistic movementsExperimentation with materialsProduction of a final outcome during examination conditionsUnit 2 –Examination Study worth 25% of total mark. This paper is given to students in January and culminates in a final examination at the end of May taking 8 hours to complete. The marks are awarded for:Drawing and development of initial ideasCritical appreciation of relevant artists and artistic movementsExperimentation with materialsProduction of a final outcome during examination conditionsWe try to teach the subject in a practical and interesting way, and have outside visits to places of interest such as Weston Super Mare, Bath Abbey to develop students’ drawing and observation skills. A2 levelAt A2 level, there are 2 units of work:Unit 3The students will complete a personal study from September to December including a 4 week period to complete a written study of between 1500-2000 words. This will examine an area of art that influences the work they are completing. This essay is illustrated with their own and other artists’ work. Work is moderated in June. The marks are awarded for:Drawing and development of initial ideasCritical appreciation of relevant artists and artistic movementsExperimentation with materialsProduction of a final outcome during examination conditionsUnit 4 –Examination Study worth 25% of total mark. This paper is given to students in January and culminates in a final examination at the end of May taking 8 hours to complete. The marks are awarded for:Drawing and development of initial ideasCritical appreciation of relevant artists and artistic movementsExperimentation with materialsProduction of a final outcome during examination conditions

Entry requirements

The A Level programme is demanding. The minimum entry requirement is at least five GCSE passes (grade A*-C) in appropriate subjects including English and Mathematics. In addition, students will need to have achieved a grade B or above in their chosen AS subjects (or related subjects).

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Beechen Cliff School directly.

Last updated date: 02 May 2017

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 Years

Venues