Engineering BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Nelson and Colne College
Engineering is the backbone of British Industry and is a rapidly growing sector. Engineers build our roads and bridges, make aeroplanes fly and create innovative solutions to many problems.
On this course you will study a variety of engineering topics such as Engineering Design, Engineering Materials and Mathematics for Engineers. You will choose study topics from a selection of modules including Robot Technology, Mechanical Principles and CNC Programming.
Engineering is a fast moving, innovative industry and Pennine Lancashire has a strong heritage of engineering excellence. We have fantastic links with local businesses and ensure that our equipment is kept up-to-date with the relevant industry standards
• Unit 1: Health and Safety in the Engineering Workplace
• Unit 2: Communications for Engineering Technicians
• Unit 4: Maths for Engineering Technicians
• Unit 5: Mechanical Principles and Applications
• Unit 8: Engineering Design
• Unit 10: Properties and Applications of Engineering Materials
• Unit 16: Engineering Drawing for Technicians
• Unit 26: Applications of Computer Numerical Control in Engineering
• Unit 30: Setting and Proving Secondary Processing Machines
• Unit 3: Engineering Project
• Unit 12: Applications of Mechanical Systems in Engineering
• Unit 13: Principles and Applications of Fluid Mechanics
• Unit 17: Computer Aided Drafting in Engineering
• Unit 19: Mechanical Measurement and Inspection Techniques
• Unit 28: Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
• Unit 31: Computer Aided Manufacturing
• Unit 32: Industrial Robot Technology Industrial Robot Technology
5 GCSEs at grade C or above including Maths, English and Science (in a minimum of three different subject areas) or a Level 2 Diploma and Level 2 Maths and English.
All units are internally assessed.
Each unit within the qualification has specified assessment and grading criteria and a summative unit grade is then awarded at pass, merit or distinction.
Former students are studying at a number of top universities including the University of Leeds, the University of Manchester, the University of Sheffield and Aston University to study exciting degree programmes such as Industrial Product Design, Electronic Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering (with Pilot License) and Civil Engineering.
They later go on to achieve outstanding careers in all areas of Engineering and many students apply for one of our Apprenticeships with top local companies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson and Colne College directly.