PSYCHOLOGY (A LEVEL) at Queensbury Academy
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind which is the source of all thought and behaviour. This course will introduce you to psychological theories and methods, and will offer you the opportunity to investigate some of the explanations psychologists have used use to understand humans and their interaction.
It is studied by considering past psychological theories and research in terms of their strengths, weaknesses and ability to explain human experience.
Modules to be studied (AS):
- Cognitive Psychology: human memory structures and processes. How memories are stored in the mind.
- Developmental Psychology: the emotional relationship we have with our primary caregiver (most often a parent)
- Biological Psychology: the relationship between stress and physical illness, personality and life events
- Social Psychology: how we can be influenced by groups or other individuals; conformity, obedience and independent behaviour
- Individual differences: defining and explaining mental abnormality. Explanations and various treatments for mental illness
- Research Methods: the scientific and statistical methods that psychologists use to carry out their research
Modules to be studied (A2):
A2 topics go much deeper into explaining human behaviours & include:
- Human aggression
- Biological rhythms and sleep
- Addiction, smoking and gambling
- Research methods: techniques and analysis of data
Students would be expected to have achieved a grade C or better in English Language and Mathematics GCSE.
All modules are externally assessed by summer exams.
Psychology ‘A’ level is flexible and will equip you with the skills to study just about any subject or enter a job requiring some level of understanding about human behaviour. As well as becoming a practising Psychologist, careers such as Teaching, Social Work, Law, Business, Healthcare and many more will benefit from some psychological knowledge
Exam Board - AQA 'A'
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queensbury Academy directly.