A-Level Geology at Winstanley College
Why study Geology at Winstanley College?
Geology is certainly worth considering as a new subject! Why? Geology is an exciting and fascinating subject as well as being an established science that is universally recognised by employers and universities. A wide range of geological skills, laboratory work and practical tasks encourage investigative problem solving, an almost “detective like” approach which is both stimulating and rewarding. Geology is a science subject with a difference.
What do I need?
No prior knowledge is required; most of our students have not taken geology at GCSE, but will have covered aspects of this subject in sciences or geography. So you may know more geology than you think! Geology is different and our students enjoy the learning experiences and teamwork opportunities this new course offers. We just ask you to be willing to get involved.
What will I study?
• Plate tectonics and its relevance to the landscape and scenery around us
• Earthquakes and volcanoes
• The earth and its structures, folds, faults and unconformities
• Different types of rocks and minerals
• Plant and animal life through geological time
• Natural disasters and attempts at their management, such as Haiti earthquake, the 2010 eruption of the Icelandic Eyjafjallajokull volcano, the landslides in Sichuan, tsunamis in Sendai, Japan.
• Prediction and management of geological hazards, including the construction of roads, tunnels, and the failure of dams and landslides.
• The British Geological Survey gives a user friendly introduction to the ‘world of geology’ at www.bgs.ac.uk/home.html
Fieldwork and Enrichment
There are opportunities for fieldwork in the local area, the Pennines, Clitheroe, Ingleton, Heysham, Blencarthra and Thurstaston. Further afield, the residential visits to Arran and Iceland are very popular and rewarding. There are visits and workshops to Leeds University, Manchester Museum and University.
Careers in Geology
There is a wide range of interesting career opportunities open to geology graduates such as disaster management, hydrogeology, geo-conservation, mining and quarrying and civil engineering industries, geophysics, geochemistry, government supported scientific establishments, geological surveys, specialist geological consultants and research companies and teaching. Study Geology as it is a subject that will provide you with an exciting interest and skills for life, whatever career route you take!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Winstanley College directly.