AS Biology (H020) at Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School
The content is split into four teaching modules:
• Module 1 – Development of practical skills in Biology
• Module 2 – Foundations in Biology
• Module 3 – Exchange and transport
• Module 4 – Biodiversity, evolution and disease Both components assess content from all four modules.
Module 1 – Development of practical skills in Biology
Module 2 – Foundations in Biology
2.1.1 Cell structure
2.1.2 Biological molecules
2.1.3 Nucleotides and nucleic acids
2.1.5 Biological membranes
2.1.6 Cell division, cell diversity and cellular organisation
Module 3 – Exchange and transport
3.1.1 Exchange surfaces
3.1.2 Transport in animals
3.1.3 Transport in plants
Module 4 – Biodiversity, evolution and disease
4.1.1 Communicable diseases, disease prevention and the immune system
4.2.2 Classification and evolution
Average Grade BB or above in GCSE Core and Additional Science (or a Grade B or above in GCSE Science: Biology). A Grade B or above in English and a Grade B or above in Mathematics.
For AS level, there are two examined modules;
• Breadth in Biology (Worth 50%) (Worth 50%) 70 marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
• Depth in Biology (Worth 50%) (Worth 50%) 70 marks (1 hour 30 minutes)
Both papers are sat in June, these count for a total of 100% of the grade of AS Biology.
Currently an overall mark of 80% at AS level represents a Grade A, a Grade E is 40%, with intervening grades at 10% intervals. (The A* Grade is only available at the end of the full A level course, with a 90% score at A level.)
Lessons involve a mixture of theory and practical activities. A commitment to discussion and study time outside lessons is essential for success in this course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth's Girls' School directly.