Chemistry A Level at Bridgwater College
Chemistry offers you the chance to extend your GCSE knowledge and really explore the subject through developing a logical approach to problem solving as well as developing your ability to understand abstract principles. The course encourages imaginative and critical thinking and develops your skills in laboratory procedures. It is in many ways a fundamental science and so highly valued by many universities and employers because of the skill set that you acquire.
The course is designed to provide you with a broad understanding of chemical processes in a variety of different contexts. Class discussion will give you an understanding of the theory, but you will also regularly be putting the theory into practice by doing practical work in our excellent laboratory facilities.
- Foundations in Chemistry which picks up your GCSE knowledge and starts you to think more deeply about chemistry and what you thought you knew.
- The Periodic Table and energy which looks at patterns seen in elements and compounds and introduces you to chemical energetics
- Core organic Chemistry which starts an in-depth study of the world of polymers and common organic products
- Physical Chemistry and the transition elements which focuses on predictive chemistry and the chemistry of this particular group of elements.
- Organic Chemistry and analysis which takes you deeper into the world of industrial chemistry looking at pharmaceutical synthesis, dyes and food additives as well as analytical techniques
- Five A*-C grades, including English and Maths
Written examinations in June of each year.
Students progress to on to university, chemistry is the most requested subject by Universities, as well as higher apprenticeships and some straight into the technical and analytical work place.
Other students choose to go directly into higher level courses at the college such as the foundation degrees.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.