Film Studies at The Sixth Form College Solihull
The course will follow the WJEC Board’s specification and will involve the detailed analysis of texts, as well as the production of step outlines and screenplays for films. Students have the option of making a short film in year 13 if they wish to do so.
Students will analyse a range of films, across different cultures and historical periods. This will include short films, films from the silent era, documentaries and ‘experimental’ films.
They will use the analysis of these texts to explore the following theoretical frameworks:
• How films create meaning and aesthetic considerations in relation to films.
• How a film and interpretations to it can be shaped and influenced by its historical, social or cultural context.
• Critical approaches to film, such as auteur theory.
You will also develop practical skills on the course and will produce your own short film or screenplay.
The course is likely to include a significant coursework component (30%).
The majority of our students will choose to study 3 A level courses and will commit to these subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least two B grades or grade 6s at GCSE
• At least a further three C grades or grade 4s at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 4 or C grade in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
There are a limited number of courses which you may be able to take with a minimum of a grade D or 3 in either English Language or Mathematics, and in this case you will need to retake this subject as part of your programme.
Please note that there may be additional entry requirements specific to particular courses – please check each course listing on our website carefully to ensure you understand these entry requirements.
4 A level Programme: Some very able students may choose to study 4 A level subjects. This will include all students who choose to study A level Further Mathematics, who will pick Mathematics, Further Mathematics and two other subjects. These students must commit to these 4 subjects for the full 2 years. Entry requirements for this programme are:
• At least 5 A/A* grades or grade 7’s at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade 6 or B grade in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
• Students picking Mathematics and Further Mathematics will need to get at least a grade 7 in GCSE Mathematics.
There are no subject specific entry requirements for this course.
Examining Board – WJEC
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Sixth Form College Solihull directly.