Dance IB Standard Level at Parkside Sixth
The IB Dance course is perfect for those students who enjoy Dance and movement in all its forms. The Diploma Programme dance curriculum embraces a variety of dance traditions and dance cultures, past and present, from across the world. Performance, creative and analytical skills are mutually developed and valued whether the students are writing papers or creating/performing dances. This course appeals equally to students who may become professional performers or choreographers, those who might want to study dance, and for those for whom dance is simply an enriching part of their lives.
- Composition and analysis
- World Dance studies
Five GCSEs or equivalent at grade C or above, including English and Maths.
IB students take six subjects in total which consists of three subjects at Higher level and three at Standard level.
For Higher level subjects, you should have GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade B or above in those subjects or related ones. We recommend Higher level Maths, Chemistry and Physics only for those with a grade A or above in GCSE Maths and Science.
Further information about entry requirements can be found in our prospectus or on the website. Students also have timetabled sessions for Theory of Knowledge.
If you are applying for the International Baccalaureate, you need to choose six subjects, from a range of different subject areas. For information can be found in our prospectus.
A paper copy of the prospectus can be obtained by phoning the Sixth Form Administrator on 01223 712600.
External assessment 60%
- Composition and analysis 40% - you will compose dance works(two for Standard, three for Higher), which you will submit on DVD with an accompanying analysis.
- Dance investigation 20% - You will produce a report, analysing the similarities and differences between two dance styles drawn from different dance cultures and/or traditions, one of which is familiar to you and one unfamiliar. This report will be maximum 1,500 for Standard Level students, and 2,500 for Higher Level students.
Internal Assessment 40%
- Performance - You will perform dances (at least one as a solo or duet), which showcase your skills. This will be in front of an audience. You will also write programme notes to accompany your performance. Standard Level students will perform one or two dances and Higher Level students two or three. The performances will be recorded on DVD.
You may wish to pursue Dance at university level ir stage school and from this pursue a career in the field.
Dance is not just for those you want to pursue a career in performance. It will help complement your other IB subjects, showcasing your creative side, and will help to foster a lifelong love of dance, which will be personally enriching whatever you choose to do in the future.
You will use the facilities in J6, the brand new Performing Arts Centre at the Coleridge campus, which is designed for students of creative subjects. For academic research you will use the Sixth Form library and Eden Centre study facilities. Dance students will work both collaboratively and individually to develop their dance skills and understanding.
- A dance company
- The opportunity to lead younger students
- Trips to performances in Cambridge and London
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.