Music AS and A Level at Whitmore High School
This course is for students who want a wide practical and academic understanding of music and enjoy learning about a variety of styles and music genres.
The course consists of three components: Performing (30%), Composing (30%) and Appraising (40%)
Students will need to achieve a minimum of grade 6 by the end of the course in their performance.
- A public performance of one or more pieces, performed as a recital.
- Performance can be playing or singing solo, in an ensemble, improvising, or realising music using music technology.
- The total performance time across all pieces must be a minimum of 8 minutes.
How will I be assessed?
- Public performance of one or more pieces, performed as a recital. Performance can be playing or singing solo, in an ensemble, improvising, or realising music using music technology.
- Compositions to a brief set by the exam board and either free composition or also to a brief.
- Written examination: 2 hours that assesses your knowledge and understanding of musical elements, contexts and language. You will also be examined on your application of this knowledge through the context of six areas of study, each with three set works.
Date(s) of Assessment
End of course
Many students go on to study Music at university or college leading to employment in the music industry or teaching. Music is a lifelong skill and includes elements of Maths, English, History and Design. The skills of team work,leadership and confidence when performing are also developed as an integral part of the course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Whitmore High School directly.