Hospitality & Catering Apprenticeship at Uxbridge College
This apprenticeship covers a range of occupations within hospitality and catering, one of the largest industries in the country. It covers work in restaurants, hotels and holiday accommodation, cafés, pubs, and contract caterers.
To reflect the many career options on offer, this apprenticeship has several pathways. If you’re interested in working ‘front of house’, you could train as waiting staff and learn how to serve customers, or train in drinks service – one of the fastest growing subsectors.
Apprentices interested in cookery could either train as a chef in a restaurant, or learn how to cook on a large scale for institutions like the NHS or armed forces. You could work in all sorts of kitchens, from fine-dining to chain restaurants through to gastro-pubs.
Here are a few examples of the units you may study –
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food and maintaining a safe and secure working environment
- Preparing fish / meat / poultry, cook and finishing fish / meat /poultry /vegetable dishes.
- Developing productive working relationships with colleagues
- Prepare cook and finish complex deserts and contribute to the development of menus
- Aged 16+
- Working in or interested in Cookery
- Need to complete a basic skills assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Level 2: Adequate numeracy and literacy skills
- Level 3: Completion of Level 2 or appropriate industry experience.
Assessments are carried out in your workplace.
Our assessor will come and visit you at work every 6-8 weeks and assess you in your job role. Visits usually last around two hours.
There is no cost for you to do an apprenticeship if you are 16-23 years old and you will be paid a wage.
NUS Apprentice extra Card
Apprentices can get discounts at over 120 high street and online retailers, please visit www.apprenticeextra.co.uk for more information.
Apprentice Oyster photocard
Apprentices can get up to 30% discounts on travel within London Borough. For more information, please visit https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adultdiscounts-and-concessions/apprentice-oysterphotocard
- Further study: If you complete a Level 2 Apprenticeship, you may be able to progress onto Level 3. Apprentices that complete Level 3 may be able to go onto a Level 4 Higher Apprenticeship.
- Job opportunities: Level 2: Team member, waiter or silver service waiter, school cook, chef, kitchen assistant and kitchen support staff Level 3: Sous chef or senior chef/cook, pastry chef, unit manager, head housekeeper, front of house manager, duty/hotel supervisor/manager and regional supervisor in a restaurant.
Contact our apprenticeships department on
- 01895 853622 / 01895 853333
Please see the frequently asked questions on the next page for more information!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Uxbridge College directly.