Plumbing Level 1 Diploma at West Lancashire College
This qualification is for those wanting to enter the Plumbing or Electrical industry. It gives you the opportunity to pick up some core skills and knowledge and gives you the opportunity to progress onto
Plumbing level 2.These qualifications are aimed at learners who want to learn the basic skills and knowledge of Plumbing
This course is part of the standard level 1 route to a career in construction.
Who the course is for:
This course is for school leavers and adults interested in a career in construction (Plumbing)
Successful students tend to:
• have practical skills and good hand skills
• be able to follow technical drawings, building plans, and other instructions
• be fit and strong enough to carry tools and materials
• have good communication skills
• be able to work quickly and neatly
• enjoy working with others
Much of the coursework is practical, working in the Plumbing department to become a competent Plumber. Theory is covered in order to assist and support the practical work.
Flexible learning techniques are used to deliver theory, which include learning packages, group work, projects/assignments, demonstrations and videos.
All students will study the following:
You programme of study will consist of a Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing, Functional skills Maths and English, Enrichment activities and tutorials.
• All learners must have a recognised Maths and English qualification
• All students must purchase the relevant kit prior to starting the course. Costs will be discussed at the enrolment and during the college induction.
• Hi – vis vest will be supplied by the college
• Hi – vis vest and ID badges must be worn at all times
• Learners must attend all sessions a minimum of 85% to gain the qualification certification and to progress onto the next level
Areas covered include:
Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing
Unit 101 Structure of the construction industry
Unit 102 Fundamental safe working practices
Unit 103 Environmental and sustainability measures in domestic dwellings
Unit 104 Site preparation for working in the construction industry
Unit 108 Above ground drainage
Unit 109 Copper pipework
Unit 110 Plastic pressure pipework
Unit 111 Low carbon steel pipework
Unit 112 Installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems
Unit 113 Plumbing science
• Level 1 or 2 or GCSE in Mathematics
• Level 1 or 2 or GCSE in Communication
• Fun sports activities and competitions
• Fun trips
• Educational trips
• Industry visitors
• One to one target setting
• Group discussions
• College functions
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
A minimum of 3 GCSE Grade D or above and interview with appropriate curriculum staff. Alternatively, successful completion of the Entry Level Carousel including Functional Skills. All successful candidates will be interviewed and selected for the course.
- Assessment is via an online core unit examination
- Awarding body phase test
- Portfolio of knowledge
- On Line examination
Successful completion of the course including functional skills will allow you direct access into Level 2 Plumbing (poor attendance and time keeping will affect progression).
This course is designed to open up the world of Construction to students either as a continuing student or potentially as an employed trainee. Career progression opportunities include:-
• Plumbing apprenticship
• Plumbers merchants
• Site management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.