Information Technology A Level at Baines High School
We follow the AQA course specification for Information and Communication Technology for AS and A Level. This is designed to:
- help students who wish to go on to higher education courses or employment where understanding of how ICT can be used in society and business, and the implications of its use, will be a valuable asset
- Offer more opportunities for practical work than the current specification
Among the many benefits, this new specification is designed to encourage candidates to:
- work co-operatively and manage projects
- develop personal learning and thinking skills
- provide quality ICT-based solutions to a range of problems
- develop an awareness of developments in technology
Year 12 structure
INFO 1 provides students with the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding of the development of ICT systems through practical experience in using a range of applications software in a structured way. Students then learn how to apply the skills, knowledge and understanding gained from this practical work to the solution of problems.
INFO 2 is the more theoretical unit and is designed to give students the wider picture of the use of ICT and to enable the understanding of basic terms and concepts involved in the study of the subject. Students are also encouraged to consider the important issues involved in the use of ICT by themselves, by others and the longer term effects on society and the world in general.
At AS level, in June students will sit two written exams based on INFO1 and INFO2.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Baines High School directly.