Music A Level at Upton Court Grammar School
During the course of Music AS and A2, you will develop the skills that you have acquired at GCSE. In addition to the skills that you developed during GCSE you will be required to:
- Be able to play your main instrument (or sing) to at least a grade V standard and have taken grade five theory, or be able to demonstrate your ability in these areas.
- Be willing (and indeed keen) to perform a range of musical styles in a variety of settings. You should have a good understanding of what is required to make a compelling performance.
- Work with other musicians in a variety of ensemble combinations (vocal and instrumental).
- Enjoy listening to a wide range of genres.
- Enjoy composition and improvisation. You should understand the process of composition and have an understanding of how composers develop and refine their work.
The examination board is Edexcel. Three units are taken at the end of the first year to complete the AS level. The A2 units then build upon the AS units. The qualifica tion comprises performance, composition and appraising (musical und erstanding) . The performance unit is worth 30% of the qualification and is assessed practically through a solo or ensemble performance lasting a total of six minutes for AS and eight minutes for A2. The composition unit is worth 30% of the overall qualification and is assessed practically through one free composition and one composition to a set brief. The combined length of the compositions will total four and a half minutes for AS and six minutes for A2 .
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Upton Court Grammar School directly.