Sport & Exercise Sciences BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Macclesfield College
This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or a wide variety of Sport careers. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in Sports Science and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way in relation to physiological adaptations to the body.
During this course you will study a total of eighteen units. Six mandatory units will provide a general foundation and twelve specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- Anatomy for sport and exercise
- Sport and exercise physiology
- Sport and exercise psychology
- Research methods for Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Research project in Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Fitness testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sports biomechanics in action
- Sports coaching
- Practical team sports
- Sports nutrition
- Work experience in sport
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Sports injuries
- Sport and exercise massage
You will also have the opportunity to undertake additional coaching qualifications and Emergency First Aid qualifications.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade A*-C, ideally including English Language
- A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma)
A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous and you will need to be able to demonstrate a reasonable degree of fitness
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
All BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma units are assessed through project, experiments and assignment work. There are no external examinations.
Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits and outdoor activities during your course. A financial contribution of £150 per year towards the costs of sports kit, visits and activities and is to be paid during the first term. Possible visits may include Sport City, Performance Analysis Centre, kayaking, football stadium tours, University and UCAS events but could be subject to change.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study a Higher Education course such as the BTEC Level 5 HND in Sport (Coaching and Sport Development) or a Sport related subject such as Gym Instruction, Leisure Management, Sports Coaching and Development or Teacher Training
- Seek employment within Sport/Leisure/Outdoor Activity Centres or Private Gyms
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.