Accessibility links

Design & Technology AS/A Level at Alec Reed Academy

Course description

 AS/Advanced Level Design and Technology Product Design at ARA aims to give students a broad view of design and manufacturing by developing your capability to design and make products and understand the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing.

It provides students with the opportunity to design and make a product using the department’s outstanding facilities including fully equipped metal and wood working workshops and a state-of-the-art CAD/CAM suite.

The course has been running for 7 years, and for the previous 6 years has enjoyed a 100% success pass rate. This year we received an unprecedented number of applicants, both ARA students and those attracted to the school from other boroughs or local schools, no doubt as a result of our stunning and unparalleled facilities

Course content

The structure of the course is both practical and theoretical and allows students a huge degree of flexibility and choice in deciding what to design and make. Furniture, children’s toys, disability aids and electronic products have all been produced in the past; your final product is only limited by your imagination!

The D&T Product Design will help you to develop a number of skills:

• How to think creatively and logically

• How to investigate and deduce

• How to discuss and talk about complex issues clearly

• How to work as a team to achieve results

• How to take responsibility for your own learning

Entry requirements

5 GCSEs A*-C including a grade B in D&T


Practical assessment accounts for 60% of the overall grade, with the remaining 40% attained through an exam at the end of the course.

Future opportunities

Product Design could take you into a number of exciting career paths, for example product or automotive design, architecture or engineering.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alec Reed Academy directly.

Last updated date: 13 December 2016

Key information