BTEC National Diploma Sport at Thamesview School
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport is intended to be an Applied General qualification for post-16 learners wanting to continue their education through applied learning, and who aim to progress to higher education and ultimately to employment, possibly in the sports sector. The qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels and has been designed as a two-year programme when studied alongside further Level 3 qualifications.
The content of this qualification has been developed in consultation with academics to ensure that it supports progression to higher education. Employers and professional bodies have also been involved and consulted to confirm that the content is appropriate and consistent with current practice for learners who may choose to enter employment directly in the sport sector.
The mandatory content allows students to concentrate on the development of their practical skills and the broad knowledge required for entrance into higher education programmes in sport. Learners will study mandatory units:
• Unit 1: Anatomy and Physiology
• Unit 2: Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being
• Unit 3: Professional Development in the Sports Industry
• Unit 4: Sports Leadership
• Unit 22: Investigating Business in Sport and the Active Leisure Industry
• Unit 23: Skill Acquisition in Sport.
Learners choose three units from a range of options that have been designed to support progression to a variety of sport courses in higher education and to link with relevant occupational areas. This allows learners either to choose a specific specialist area in which they wish to develop their skill, or continue on a broad programme.
Minimum of 6 GCSEs at Level 4 or above (A*-C equivalent), including English Lit or Lang at grade 4 and Maths at Level 4.
Assessment is via a range of internal, external and synoptic assessments.
The qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting, or contributing to, admission requirements for many relevant courses. Learners can progress to higher education on full degree single or combined courses, for example:
• BA (Hons) in Sports Development and Management
• BSc(Hons) in Sports Management
• BSc(Hons) Sports Business Management
• BSc(Hons) Sport and Leisure Management
• BSc(Hons) Sports Science (Outdoor Activities)
• BSc (Hons) in Exercise, Health and Fitness
• BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Psychology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Thamesview School directly.