Hairdressing Intermediate Apprenticeship - Work-based at Eastleigh College
The Intermediate Apprenticeship in Hairdressing provides the fundamental skills and knowledge required for a successful and rewarding career as a hairdresser.
You will achieve a Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing. Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 1 Functional Skills qualifications in English and maths.
This apprenticeship is offered through:
- day release attendance at either Eastleigh Colleges Desborough campus (HAAPA)
- day release attendance at Above Bar Training in Southampton city centre (HAAPB)
- work-based learning (HWB21)
If you select day release you will attend college one day per week during term time and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace.
If you select work-based learning you will be visited in the workplace by a college assessor who will also work with you to develop your job knowledge.
The apprenticeship the following mandatory core units:
- Set and Dress Hair
- Cut Hair Using Basic Techniques
- Colour and Lighten Hair
- Advise and Consult With Clients
- Shampoo, Condition and Treat The Hair and Scalp
- Develop and Maintain Your Effectiveness at Work.
The list of optional units includes:
- Remove Hair Extensions
- Relax Hair
- Perm and Neutralise Hair
- Plait And Twist Hair
- Temporarily Attach Hair to Enhance a Style
- Fulfil Salon Reception Duties
- Cut Men's Hairstyles.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment.
In addition, you need to have
- 4 GCSEs at grade D or higher, including English and Maths
- or have achieved a Level 1 hairdressing qualification
- or have relevant experience and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 1 in English and Maths.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Intermediate apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto the Advanced Apprenticeship in Hairdressing. Intermediate apprentices may also progress onto further education and/or Continual Professional Development courses related to working in the hair and beauty sector.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.