Practical Furniture Making Level 2 at Bridgwater College
This course is for you if you are interested in furniture making, fine woodworking or product design. This enjoyable and stimulating course has a strong emphasis on practical woodworking skills. You will build on the essential furniture making skills you have already learnt on our Level 1 course or equivalent skills developed elsewhere. The course will enable you to develop your skills to professional standards suitable for employment in the furniture or fine woodworking industry; this may eventually lead onto you setting up your own woodworking business.
You will further develop your techniques of making quality furniture using modern machines and hand tools to produce practical tasks as well as your own furniture. In the design studio you will learn background theory to working in wood and constructing furniture, alongside drawing and design skills. You will also be taught all of the associated knowledge required for this subject.
The course is two-thirds practical work, with the remainder being theory studies. Topics of study include:
- Using all workshop tools to undertake practical tasks
- Using techniques to produce shaped and veneered parts construct and assemble furniture and cabinets
- Fit a range of doors, drawers and cabinet hardware
- Apply mouldings and finishes, and make necessary adjustments to finished pieces
- Producing project cutting lists, patterns and jigs,
- Drawing practices and using workshop geometry
- Health & Safety
- Understand the importance of sustainability in furniture making
- Level 1 furniture qualification or a similar woodworking qualification
- A desire to learn about furniture making and a love of working with wood
- Practical projects
- Portfolio of evidence
You can progress onto our higher level C&G level 3 Furniture Design and Manufacture course, or explore a variety of career opportunities in the Furniture and Woodworking industry. Alternatively a foundation degree in Furniture Studies at a specialist Furniture College/University, a BTEC National Diploma in Art, Design and Craft, or any other design based subject dependent on achieving an appropriate level of qualification.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.