Fine Art A Level at Excelsior Academy
Courses based on these specifications should encourage students to develop:
- intellectual, imaginative, creative and intuitive capabilities
- investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills, aesthetic understanding and critical judgement
- independence of mind in developing, refining and communicating their own ideas, their own intentions and their own personal outcomes
- an interest in, enthusiasm for and enjoyment of art, craft and design
- the experience of working with a broad range of media
Students will be introduced to a variety of experiences through which they will explore a wide range of fine art media, techniques and processes. They will be made aware of both traditional and new technologies.
Students will explore the use of drawing for different purposes, using a variety of methods and media on a variety of scales. Students are encouraged to use sketchbooks to support the development of their work where appropriate.
Students are required to work in one or more areas of fine art, such as:
1. Drawing and Painting
2. Mixed Media, including collage and assemblage
7. Moving image and photography
Students undertake two units of study at both AS & A2, each unit counts for 50% of the overall grade. Unit 1 will be a chosen theme. Unit 2 will follow a theme given by the examining body.
GCSE or BTEC Art and Design at C grade/Pass level respectively.
The A-level specification is designed to be taken over two years with all assessments taken at the end of the course. Students who choose to undertake the AS qualification, can then make the decision to continue onto the full A-level qualification at the end of their one year course.
An AS or A2 qualification in fine art opens doors to a wide variety of career opportunities within the creative industries, including, set & stage design, Advertising, Gallery work, Museum Curator, architecture, fashion, publishing, software design, Art therapy, Animation, reprographics, Tattooist, Jewellery designer, Costume design, to name but a few.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Excelsior Academy directly.