Media Studies GCSE at Saint Benedict, A Catholic Voluntary Academy
The OCR Media Studies GCSE offers a mixture of practical and written units. Students will develop their enquiry, critical thinking and decision-making skills through the study of audiences and institutions and media texts (magazines and TV comedy), and their practical skills through the design and production of print and video artefacts.
1. Students produce an individual portfolio of work which contains and analytical assignment, a practical production task and a planning and evaluative commentary.
2. There is a written examination where in section A students respond to an extract from an unseen lifestyle magazine and in section B they answer questions on institution and audience through the study of television comedy.
3. Students work together or individually to create a major practical production including evidence of their own research and planning and evaluation of their finished product
All Level 2 students must have 4 grade D passes or equivalent and basic numeracy and literacy skills.
An interest in the subject to be studied and the willingness to undertake independent study is essential.
In addition, the following subject has specific entry criteria.
Level 3 courses or jobs in:
- Media Studies/Cambridge Technical in Media
- Media Production
- Broadcast Media (TV and Radio)
- Web Design
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Saint Benedict, A Catholic Voluntary Academy directly.