Hairdressing Advanced Apprenticeship at Derby College
Building on their existing knowledge, students will extend their skills and experience by developing various cutting, colouring and styling techniques, improving their creative flair and providing consultation services. Leading to a recognised City & Guilds qualification, this course also equips them to make greater contributions to the running of a commercial salon. In order to support their main programme of study, future progression and life skills, students will also develop their skills in maths and English.
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- Promote additional services or products to clients
- Provide hairdressing consultation services
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively dress long hair
- Develop and enhance your creative hairdressing skills
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of promotional activities
It is essential that students have excellent written and communication skills. You will need to have successfully completed an NVQ2 in Hairdressing and GCSE English and Maths at grade C or Literacy and Numeracy at Level 2.
You will be assessed by a range of methods including practical observation, oral questioning, written tests, assignments and preparing a portfolio of evidence. Assessments are on-going throughout the year. Practical assessments are undertaken in the workplace. Maths and English will be assessed through a controlled assessment or final exam.
Our teaching staff will be happy to discuss progression opportunities with you and there is a relevant Level 4 qualification. If you progress to further study, you will continue to develop your skills in maths and English.
You can also go on to employment in more senior roles in salons or in technician roles.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.