French AS/A2 at Lawrence Sheriff School
As the world gets smaller, Britain plays its part in the
EU, holidaymakers travel the world and businesses
become increasingly international, there has never
been such an important time in our history to study
a foreign language in depth. We aim to open your
mind to the fascinating aspects of the language,
life and times of France and its people. Full course
content can be found on the OCR website.
You can expect to:
• Read and understand authentic texts.
• Listen to and comprehend the spoken language.
• Understand the key social and cultural aspects of
• Express ideas and opinions about key modern issues in
• Write extended essays.
• Talk about important issues in French.
• Study two cultural topics in greater depth in the
Grade B or above in GCSE French.
Where does it lead?
Languages can be used these days in almost all areas of
the working world; business, finance, teaching, translation,
retail, civil service and international organisations. Many
university courses can also be combined with a language
to give you that extra edge to your qualification.
• Students are encouraged to take part in a 5-day
cultural visit to France. Cost to be advised.
• Text books used are “Tout Droit AS” in Year 12 and
“Tout Droit A2” in Year 13.
• You will need to purchase a dictionary suitable for
study at this level. You will receive information about
this in your first AS lesson.
Students’ views …
“It’s been much more interesting to learn French at AS
because you go into much more detail and you get
much more knowledge about how the language works.”
“I’ve really enjoyed reading French newspapers and
watching the French news which we didn’t do at GCSE.”
“The grammar was difficult at first but I soon got to grips
“I found the listening exercises much easier than I’d
expected as you can listen to the passages through
headphones as often as you like!”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lawrence Sheriff School directly.