Business AS & A Level at Archbishop Tenison's CofE High School
If you have commercial ambition, wish to work for a large multinational company, work in the entrepreneurial sector, or one day set up your own business, AS/A Business will provide the opportunity to develop a wide range of business related knowledge and skills. Economics, IT, Maths, English, Geography, Sociology and Psychology all overlap with the subject content of Business.
This is an AS/A Level course that enables you to:
- Understand and interpret different types of businesses
- Understand why businesses make the decisions they do
- Explore a range of businesses and develop an interest in business
- Have practical opportunities to engage with businesses (we have had visits to Sky’s studios for the least 2 years)
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance /operational performance/financial performance /human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of a business/Choosing strategic direction/Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies/Managing strategic change
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade B (or grade 6 in English and Mathematics) is required to have a free choice of A‐ Level courses. We would anticipate that you would achieve a minimum of GCSE grade 5 in English Language and Mathematics.
- Students will be expected to achieve at least a grade B in the subjects they choose to take and this will be applied rigidly to Mathematics, Further Mathematics, the Sciences and Modern Foreign Languages.
Examining body: AQA
Two written papers each lasting 1 hour 30 mins. A mixture of multiple choice, short answer and essay questions feature. Paper 2 is based around an unseen case study.
Paper 1: Business 1
Written exam: 2 hours. 100 marks in total. 33.3% of A‐level weighting. Three compulsory sections: Section A has 15 multiple choice questions (MCQs) worth 15 marks. Section B has short answer questions worth 35 marks. Section C and D have two essay questions (choice of one from two and one from two) each worth 25 marks.
Paper 2: Business 2
Written exam: 2 hours. 100 marks in total. 33.3% of A‐level weighting. Three data response compulsory questions worth approx. 33 marks each and made up of three or four part questions.
Paper 3: Business 3
Written exam: 2 hours. 100 marks in total. 33.3% A‐level weighting. One compulsory case study followed by approximately six questions.
In higher education Business is a good preparation for a wide range of degree courses including Business Studies, Business and Management, Business and Finance, Marketing, Economics and Accounting. It also provides an excellent preparation for immediate entry into the world or work.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Archbishop Tenison's CofE High School directly.