Level 3 Public Services at Hereford Academy
This course is an interactive and participative course covering a wide range of topics and is suitable for those looking for careers in Public Sector, in particular roles which require physical fitness, research and investigative skills and/or customer service operational functions.
Students taking this course often want a career in the army, the fire service, the police, the ambulance or local authority.
The course is skills driven and students will work in teams, solve problems, undertake volunteer work and improve their own physical fitness. Many of the skills are transferable for other types of employment for example those interested in developing, maintaining and protecting society.
You will learn through tasks, activities, simulations, projects and assignments. Additionally, visiting speakers and visits will be used to enhance the learning experience.
What topics/modules does the course cover?
The course has 12 units. Four mandatory units and a range of optional units.
Mandatory units are as follows -
• Government, Policies and Public Services
• Leadership and Teamwork in Public Services
• Citizenship and Diversity in Public Services
• Understanding Discipline
Optional Units are taken from -
• Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public services
• Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
• Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
• Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
• Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
• Fundamentals of Nautical Studies
• Practical Team Sports
• Exercise Health and Lifestyle
• Land Navigation by Map and Compass
• Volunteering in Public Services
100% coursework - No Exams
60% practical and 40% theory
5 GCSEs grade A* - C or equivalent (BTEC/ OCR/ NVQ)
For some courses you will be required to undertake the enhanced
Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) checks and references will be requested
for ALL applicants.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hereford Academy directly.