Professional Cookery (and Food and Beverage Service) Level 2 NVQ Diploma at Exeter College
This progression course will build on the skills and knowledge you have gained whilst studying the NVQ Level 1 programme, providing you with the opportunity to further develop your craft skills in both culinary and food service operations. The programme will teach you the theory, preparation and cooking of a wide variety of dishes and hospitality service in all areas.
You will work towards level 2 qualifications in food and drinks service and professional cookery within the real working environment of the @thirty-four training restaurant.
You will cover a minimum of 58 credits which will consist of some of the following units:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Prepare and cook meat and poultry dishes
- Prepare and cook fish dishes
- Prepare and cook vegetables
- Prepare and cook hot sauces
- Prepare and cook soups
- Prepare and cook bread and dough products
- Prepare and cook egg dishes
You will cover a minimum of 37 credits which will consist of some of the following units for your food and beverages services qualification.
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
- Provide a counter and takeaway service
- Serve food at a table
- Serve alcoholic and soft drinks
- Prepare and serve wines
- Prepare and clear areas for counter and takeaway service
- Prepare and clear areas for table service
- Prepare and clear the bar area
- Maintain and deal with payments
You must have successfully completed the Level 1 NVQ Catering Craft and have achieved Functional Skills in English and maths.
You will need to purchase uniform, knives and equipment costing approximately £300.00 This equipment will last you for your entire programme and will positively help start your career in the catering and hospitality sector.
You can do a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (Kitchen and Larder) to further your training and broaden your career opportunities, either as a full-time programme or as an Advanced Apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.