Biology A Level at Chadwell Heath Academy
There is an emphasis on recall, understanding and application. You must be fully committed to homework activities and weekly revision and tests. You will do well in this subject if you have developed an ability to look at facts and data, then make a conclusion and give an opinion of your own, referring to your research. Much of the work is related to how science works in everyday life. High level mathematical skills, including statistics, and good essay-writing ability is essential.
- Development of practical skills in biology.
- Foundations in biology - (basic biology topics)
- Exchange and transport.
- Biodiversity, evolution and disease.
- Communication, homeostasis and energy.
- Genetics, evolution and ecosystem.
A practical Portfolio has to be started containing 12 practicals, which will be recorded on the A2 certificate as a pass or fail.
There will be no marks allocated to this work, so in effect there is NO COURSEWORK.
Paper 01 (modules 1,2,3,5) 2 ¼ hour paper (37% total)
Paper 02 (modules 1,2,4,6) 2 ¼ hour paper (37% total)
Paper 03 (modules 1-6) 1 ½ hour paper (26% total)
Practical Endorsement – Practical Portfolio as in AS
- Higher Education and Degree courses in Biology, Environmental Biology, Medicine, Pharmacy, Optometry, Dentistry, Teaching, Nursing and Veterinary Work.
- Higher Nationals in Applied Biology and related sciences such as Sports Science Studies, Beauty Therapy, Horticulture, Agriculture and Animal Management.
- Employment within the areas of Pharmacy, Hospitals, Biotechnology laboratories.
- Other careers such as Banking, the Stock Exchange and anywhere where an A Level is needed.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Chadwell Heath Academy directly.