Civil Engineering (Apprenticeship) at Solihull College & University Centre
This course is ideal for you if you are working as a Civil Engineering Technician or associated role, carrying out civil engineering tasks, developing and finalising civil engineering solutions, establishing and implementing health and safety for civil engineering personnel.
This apprenticeship framework will develop your knowledge and prepare you for a career in the Industry or progression onto an HNC/HND or Degree level course.
Subjects you study include: - Seven core units which are mandatory.
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and the Built Environment
- Sustainable Construction
- Mathematics in Construction and the Built Environment
- Science and Materials in Construction
- Construction Technology and Design in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Surveying in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Construction in Civil Engineering
You will study a further five Specialist units which are selected to provide students with a broad knowledge of Civil Engineering, an example of which are:
- Graphical Detailing in Construction
- Structural Mechanics in Construction and Civil Engineering
- Further Mathematics in Construction and the Built Environment
- Civil Engineering in Construction
- Structural Analysis and design in Construction
- You must be employed as indicated above.
- You need a minimum of four GCSEs at Grade A/8 - C/4 including Mathematics & English Language or an equivalent qualification such as a BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Construction or Engineering at Merit or Distinction Level.
- A place on the course is subject to a successful interview.
The part of your Apprenticeship that you follow at College is assessed through written assignments and practical observations.
The part of your apprenticeship which is followed in the workplace will be assessed during regular visits of a college assessor.
Upon completion fo the apprenticeship, you can:
- Continue with employment in the Industry
- Progress onto a Higher Apprenticeship, HNC/HND in Building Services, or a Foundation Degree in Construction.
There are no direct additional costs for this course but you may want to purchase some text books for further reading, a suggested reading list will be supplied at the beginning of your course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solihull College & University Centre directly.