Music A Level at Barton Peveril Sixth Form College
- GCSEs to include a C in Music or Grade 5 Music Theory (exam board ABRSM)
- Minimum GCSE point score required for this course: 5.1
- You should have achieved at least Grade 5 standard on your first instrument (or voice)
- As an A Level Music student at Barton Peveril you will receive lessons on your first instrument, or voice, free of charge
- Music and Music Technology can be combined as a specialism in preparation for a Music-related course at university or a conservatoire.
What do you enjoy? Composing, performing? Maybe you are interested in the more analytical side of music – how styles have developed, how a piece of music is constructed? Whichever is your preference, A Level Music has something for you as the course essentially comprises these three elements. Your performing and composing will be worth 60%, with an analysis paper which counts for 40%. For performing, your assessment will be a 6-8 minute recital which takes place towards the end of the first year. You will have opportunities for gaining more informal experience of playing in front of an audience before then, as well as at least one mock assessment. For composing, you’ll write two pieces of music which last approximately 5-7 minutes: one will be based on a brief, and a specific musical style; the other will involve greater freedom of choice. In your second year, you will be given the opportunity to specialise in either performing or composing. Your analysis paper will be based on series of set pieces/ musical styles. We place a strong emphasis on group interaction in this part of the course and aim to build supportive working relationships between students.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Barton Peveril Sixth Form College directly.