Public Services (Uniformed) Level 3 Diploma at Somerset College
The programme has been designed to prepare students for entry tests carried out by a range of public services. You will be expected to participate in the Practical Development Programme and you can have the opportunity to compete in the British Colleges Sports League.
Over the two year period you will work towards a wide range of units including:
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Understanding discipline in the uniformed public services
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Crime and its effects on society
- Responding to emergency service incidents
- Planning and management of major incidents
- Employment in the uniformed public services
- Five GCSEs at grade C or above, to include English or Level 2 Diploma with Merit Distinction profile in a related subject.
- Applicants with different qualifications and experience or relevant employment/sporting background may also be considered.
All units will offer a mixture of assessment methods, including presentations, written case studies, observation, practicals and assignments. Progress will be monitored on a continual basis with your personal tutor.
As well as attending classes and workshops you will be expected to participate in practical exercises, visit a range of public service organisations and learn from guest speakers.
Students could progress on to a variety of degree programmes to include a Foundation Degree in Public Services, degree in criminology or police science, to name but a few.
The course will enable competitiveness when applying for jobs in the Army, Fire Brigade, HM Prison Service, RAF, NHS, Public Sector, Customs and Excise and the Navy. If learners are acquiring a career in the police they must have achieved a Level 3 qualification.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.