German AQA AS and A Level at Larkmead School
This is a subject which is now a reformed A level which means that the result of the AS exams does not contribute to the overall A level mark and grade. If a student leaves the course after AS then this new type of AS is worth 40% of the UCAS points of the full A level for University entry in 2017 onwards. If a student completes the two year A level course then it is only assessment at the end of the second year that counts towards the full A level grade.
Paper 1: Listening, Reading and translation into English
Paper 2: Writing : translation into target language; one essay on a set text or film
Paper 3: Speaking: discussion of 2 sub-themes based on a stimulus card for each theme
The AS course covers the following topic areas:
- Current trends in aspects of Fr/Ger/Sp-speaking society
- Artistic cultures in the Fr/Ger/Sp- speaking world
Paper 1: Listening,Reading,Translation into English and target language
Paper 2: Writing: two essay questions, either on one set text and one film, or two on set texts
Paper 3: Speaking: discussion of one sub-theme based on a stimulus card and a presentation and discussion of an individual research project
The A-Level course covers the following topic areas:
- Social issues and trends in aspects of Fr/Ger/Sp- speaking society
- Political and artistic cultures in the Fr/Ger/Sp-speaking world
How you will learn:
You will read articles from magazines and websites, listen to music, watch films, discuss important news items, share your opinions, read set texts and develop a thorough understanding of the language and how it works.
Skills you will need:
- Willingness to contribute to class discussions
- Task resilience
- Independent learning and self-organisation
- An interest in the language and culture of the country
- A strong understanding of GCSE grammar
To study AS/A Levels you will normally need: A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above.
AS and A- Level:
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Larkmead School directly.