Dance (AQA) at Stanford & Corringham Sixth Form Centre
This course is for someone who enjoys all aspects of dance; choreography, performing, watching and analysing professional companies as well as each other. You will gain a deeper understanding about your body and how it moves through the theoretical delivery of Anatomy and Physiology in Dance. You will be required to dance as a soloist and as part of a group for the practical examination. It is essential that you are motivated and committed and willing to give extra time for practical rehearsal. The course can be completed as a one year course gaining an AS qualification or a two year course gaining the full A level.
PLEASE NOTE: This course could run over the 3 schools. Details of where this course will run in September will be available at a later date.
AS Component 1: Performance and choreography unit.
- The process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to final dance.
- The development of physical and interpretative skills in relation to performance of the solo choreography
- The development of performance skills within a duo/trio performance context
Assessed by Practical Coursework – 80 marks – 50% of AS Level
AS Component 2: Critical engagement.
- Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation of two professional works.
- Demonstrate reflection and understanding of own choreographic and performance practice.
This component is assessed by a two hour written examination worth 60 marks 50% of AS level.
A Level Component 1: Performance and choreography unit.
- Solo performance linked to a specified practitioner within an area of study.
- Performance in a quartet.
- Group choreography based on exam question.
Assessed by practical exam - 80 marks - 50% of A-level
A level Component 2: Critical Engagement
- Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation of two set works.
- Section A: short answer questions (25 marks) and one essay question (25 marks) on the compulsory set work/area of study.
- Section B: two essay questions on the second set work/area of study (25 marks for each essay)
This component is assessed by 2 hours 30 minutes written examination worth 100 marks 50% of A-level
Dance GCSE grade 5 and English Language GCSE grade 5.
£30.00 deposit to cover all text books to be paid on enrolment day. This will be refunded at the end of your course once your books have been returned to the subject teacher.
£5.00 non-refundable payment for an Access Key Fob to access Gable Hall School, Sixth Form and St Clere's School.
Dance is relevant for anyone who has a passion for dance and a desire to study dance further at University or a professional establishment. It also compliments any Theatre Studies or Performing Arts course.
Further career outcomes could be:
• Professional Dancer
• Dance Teacher
• Community Dance Work
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.