Furniture Making Level 1 Diploma at Burnley College
Through project work, this course introduces the basics of wood machining, cabinet making and traditional and modern methods of upholstery.
You will study disciplines including wood machining, cabinet making and traditional and modern upholstery in well-equipped workshops under the supervision of lecturers with extensive knowledge and industrial experience. You will have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of activities to enhance your studies, including:
- Displaying work in our annual furniture exchibition held at Townleley Hall in Burnley
- Visits to exhibitions, galleries, museums, woodworking shows and local manufacturers
- Attending the Ideal Home Exhibition, National Furniture Show in Birmingham and New Designers in London
- Specific projects working with local employers, culminating in a showcase of the final piece. This year our students worked with Senator and their work was displayed in London
- Visiting bespoke furniture and upholstery employers.
Two GCSEs at grade D or above including a written English subject OR a relevant Foundation Learning qualification including GCSE grade D in a written English subject. There may also be an additional assessment test.
Assessment is via coursework.
Level 2 Diploma in Furniture Making or an Apprenticeship in Furniture.
Our School of Furniture is the North West of England's acknowledged Centre of Excellence for furniture making, education and training.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Burnley College directly.