Plumbing Studies Level 3 at West Lancashire College
Start your career in plumbing - learn how to deal with leaky pipes, water systems and drainage. A qualification in Plumbing will help you learn the trade and progress onto an NVQ These qualifications are intended for those wanting to gain the skills
and knowledge necessary to enter the plumbing industry.
This course is part of the standard level 3 route to a career in construction.
Who the course is for:
This course is for school leavers and adults interested in a career in construction (Plumbing)
Successful students tend to:
• have practical skills and good hand skills
• be able to follow technical drawings, building plans, and other instructions
• be fit and strong enough to carry tools and materials
• have good communication skills
• be able to work quickly and neatly
• enjoy working with others
Much of the coursework is practical, working in the Plumbing department to become a competent Plumber. Theory is covered in order to assist and support the practical work. Flexible learning techniques are used to deliver theory, which include learning packages, group work, projects/assignments, demonstrations and videos.
All students will study the following:
You programme of study will consist of a Level 3 Studies in Plumbing, Functional skills Maths and English, Enrichment activities and tutorials
• All learners must have a recognised Maths and English qualification
• All learners must have a recognised level 2 qualification
• All students must purchase the relevant kit prior to starting the course. Costs will be discussed at the enrolment and during the college induction.
• Hi – vis vest will be supplied by the college
• Hi – vis vest and ID badges must be worn at all times
• Learners must attend all sessions a minimum of 85% to gain the qualification certification and to progress onto the next level
Areas covered include:
Level 3 Studies in Plumbing
Unit 201/501 Health and safety in building services engineering
Unit 301 Understand the fundamental principles and requirements of environmental technology systems
Unit 302 Plumbing system installation planning
Unit 303/603 Complex cold water systems
Unit 304/604 Domestic hot water
Unit 305 Sanitation and drainage systems
Unit 306/606 Central heating systems
Unit 307 Domestic gas principles
Unit 308 Career awareness in building services engineering
• Level 1 or 2 or GCSE in Mathematics
• Level 1 or 2 or GCSE in Communication
• Fun sports activities and competitions
• Fun trips
• Educational trips
• Industry visitors
• One to one target setting
• Group discussions
• College functions
Learners will undertake a period of work experience appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
All successful candidates will be interviewed and selected for the course and MUST hold a recognised level 2 qualification within the same area.
- Assessment is via an online core unit examination
- Awarding body phase tests
- Portfolio of knowledge
• Self Employment
• BTEC Level 3 in Construction and the Built Environment
This course is designed to open up the world of Construction to students either as a continuing student or potentially as an employed trainee. Career progression opportunities include:-
• Plumbing apprenticeship
• Self Employment
• Plumbers merchants
• Site management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.