Domestic Plumbing and Heating Advanced Apprenticeship - Day Release at Eastleigh College
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Domestic Plumbing and Heating builds on the skills and competence that are gained through the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Domestic Plumbing and Heating, developing advanced level skills. In addition, the supervision of domestic plumbing and heating installers is included.
The following pathway is offered:
- Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas-Fired Water and Central Heating Appliances)
You will learn through a combination of on- and off-the-job training. You will attend college one day per week during term time and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace.
You will achieve a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas-Fired Water and Central Heating Appliances).
Unless exempt on entry, you will also achieve Level 2 Functional Skills qualifications in English, Maths and ICT.
The Apprenticeship includes units relating to:
- organising resources in building services engineering
- electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems
- hot water, cold water, central heating system and sanitation systems installation, commissioning, servicing and maintenance techniques
- core gas safety for natural gas in domestic building services engineering
- installation, commissioning and de-commissioning of gas pipework up to 35mm in domestic and small commercial premises
- installation and maintenance of domestic gas water heating and wet central heating appliances.
- Entry is subject to interview and assessment.
- You will need to have relevant employment with a Gas Safe Registered employer.
In addition, you will need to have completed
- an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Domestic Plumbing and Heating
- or have completed an Intermediate Apprenticeship in Domestic Heating
- or have a Level 2 Diploma/NVQ Diploma in Domestic Plumbing
- or have a Level 2 Diploma/NVQ Diploma in Domestic Heating and be able to demonstrate ability equivalent to, or exceeding Level 2 in English and maths.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of knowledge and practical assessment activities, including assessment of activities in the workplace.
Your progress will be continuously monitored and supported by an Apprenticeship Achievement Officer.
Advanced level apprentices, with support and opportunities in the workplace, can progress onto relevant Level 4/5 qualifications e.g. Building Services Engineering Technology and Project Management or onto a Foundation degree in an engineering or construction discipline.
With additional training, advanced level apprentices may also be able to progress in their careers to roles such as Technician, System Designer, Estimator or a Project/ Contracts Manager.
Completion of the Level 3 NVQ Diploma will provide evidence of competence to the Gas Safe Register in the following competence categories: CCN 1, CENWAT1, CPA 1, MET 1 and CoNGLP 1PD.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.