Religious Studies AS/A2 Level at Christleton High School
LOWER SIXTH ‘AS’ in ETHICS
• Abortion and euthanasia.
• Capital punishment- should murderers be executed? (A trip to the courts to watch a trial.)
• Ethical theories: utilitarianism, Kant, natural law and situation ethics.
• Sex and relationships.
• Environmental ethics.
UPPER SIXTH ‘A2’ in PHILOSOPHY
(1 hour 30 minutes)
• Life after death eg. near death experiences.
• Does God exist? - the ontological argument
• The problem of evil – can God exist when there is so much suffering?
• Perceptions of ultimate reality eg the approach of psychology to religion.
It is NOT a requirement that students have studied RS at GCSE. Students need to have 5 GCSE passes at Grade C or above. It is also strongly advisable to have at least a B grade in RS or English Language.
Assessment: examined by two written papers (1 hour 15 minutes each)
Assessment : examined by two written papers (1 hour 30 minutes each)
Universities are looking for students who have used the opportunity offered by the AS qualification to study a contrasting subject. The AS offered in Religious Studies is ideal for this as the Year 12 course is an ETHICS course, with relevance to a whole variety of careers, from Medicine to the Law or Journalism.
For those who wish to progress to A2, we are offering a PHILOSOPHY course as the second part of the full A level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Christleton High School directly.