Economics AS/A2 Level at St Mary's Catholic High School
Economics studies the way in which scarce resources are allocated to meet the demands made upon them by individuals, businesses and governments. The subject attempts to develop economic theories in order to help us understand how the UK and international economy works today. The themes are:
The operation of markets and market failure
- Economic methodology and the economic problem
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Competitive and concentrated markets
- The market mechanism, market failure and government intervention in markets
The national economy in a global context
- The measurement of macroeconomic performance
- How the macroeconomy works: the circular flow of income, AD/AS analysis, and related concepts
- Economic performance
- Macroeconomic policy
A2 Level Content (as above plus):
Individual, firms, markets and market failure
- Individual economic decision making
- Perfect competition, imperfectly competitive markets and monopoly
- The labour market
- The distribution of income and wealth: poverty and inequality
The national and international economy
- Financial markets and monetary policy
- Fiscal policy and supply-side policies
- The international economy
Students considering Economics at A level should have achieved grades B or above in English and Mathematics GCSE. The course demands a high level of ability in both verbal and numerical reasoning.
Economics can be studied to degree level at University in its own right, or in conjunction with Accountancy, Commerce, Business Studies, Geography, etc.
At A level there are suitable links with a number of other discipline areas, including Mathematics.
The opportunities are varied and a qualification is relevant to most career areas but it is directly relevant to Management, Banking, Accountancy, Sales, Marketing, Business Administration, and most aspects of commercial life.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Mary's Catholic High School directly.