Mathematics at Ursuline College
A Level Mathematics
Year 12 AS Mathematics
The units taught in the first year are the following:
- Pure Mathematics (2/3 weight) including; extension of topics from GCSE, Calculus, Series and Exponentials/Logarithms.
- Statistics and Mechanics (1/3 weight) including; Probability, Statistical distributions, Kinematics and Newton’s laws.
Year 13 A Level Mathematics
The units taught in the second year are the following:
- Pure Mathematics 1 (1/3 weight) topics covered in AS Pure Mathematics, but tested at A Level standard.
- Pure Mathematics 2 (1/3 weight) including; Further Calculus, Further Trigonometry, Co-ordinate geometry and Numerical methods.
- Statistics and Mechanics (1/3 weight) topics covered in AS Mathematics and Moments.
Four GCSE grades 9-4.
For automatic entry into this qualification you need to be awarded a minimum of a grade 7 at GCSE Maths.
All units are assessed via a written paper only and have no coursework attached. There are 2 units in the first year to complete the AS Mathematics as a stand alone qualification. Then 3 units in the 2nd year to complete the A Level. (Note: no results from AS Mathematics can contribute to A Level)
From this course you could go and move onto the following courses:
- Maths Degree/Masters
- Economics Degree/Masters • Physics Degree/Masters
- Business or Financial Degree/Masters
- IT or Computing Degree/Masters
You could also apply for jobs in the following sectors:
- Bank & Financial Institutions
- IT or Computing
- General Business Services
We often have Maths enrichment days at local universities for all ages, depending on the nature of the sessions. Where pupils get the chance to see Mathematics in action. These are usually at University of Kent or the University of Greenwich.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.