Media A Level at St Andrew's Catholic School
- Unit 1—Foundation Portfolio in Media (25%) 50%. This is a coursework unit where candidates produce the layout and content for a new music publication. This process involves progression from a pre-production, preliminary exercise to a more fully realised piece. Candidates present their research and planning in either paper-based or digital format and do an evaluation in digital format, based on seven required prompt questions
- Unit 2— Key Media Concepts (TV Drama and Film Industry) (25%) 50%. This paper covers the two areas of Textual Analysis and Representation alongside Institutions and Audiences. In Section A, candidates answer questions on an unseen moving image extract that is then linked to some aspect of the representation within the sequence. In Section B, candidates study the film industry and the production, distribution, marketing and exhibition of a range of film industry case studies.
- Unit 3—Advanced Portfolio in Media (25%) 50%. This is a coursework unit where candidates engage with contemporary media technologies to produce a media portfolio through a combination of two or more media and then present their research, planning and evaluation in digital format. Students will learn how to use Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop to a more advanced level. This is a development of the skills from Unit 1.
- Unit 4—Critical Perspectives in Media (25%) 50%. This paper covers the two areas of Theoretical Evaluation of Production alongside a study of Contemporary Media Issues. In Section A, candidates describe and evaluate their skills development in their production work and then select one production to evaluate in relation to a media concept. In Section B, candidates choose one topic and then demonstrate their understanding of a postmodernism through a range of texts, institutions, audiences and debates. Section B Topic—Media in the Online Age.
B in English Literature and Language and ideally a Distinction in GCSE ICT
- Unit 1 Foundation Portfolio in Media (25%) 50%
- Unit 2 Key Media Concepts (TV Drama) (25%) 50%
- Unit 3 Advanced Portfolio in Media (25%) 50%
- Unit 4 Critical Perspectives in Media (25%) 50%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Andrew's Catholic School directly.
Last updated date: 06 June 2016