Sociology at Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School
* AS and A level Sociology questions the reasons for why society is as it is – the role of each individual in society and why they have that role.
* The course would suit students who like to think about and explore the social world around them. Sociology will encourage students to question common sense assumptions, and to understand the world from other people’s points of view.
* Students learn to dissect and evaluate contemporary issues e.g. are women’s roles different from men? Is marriage declining? Why do certain students achieve more in education than others? Is the rate of crime rising or falling? Are we becoming a non-religious society?
* The course gives the students knowledge and understanding of the theories and methodologies of sociology.
* Ideally GCSE English at Grade B or above
* An ability to study in a self-motivated and independent manner is essential. Widespread reading of newspapers and the Internet is required.
* Good writing and communication skills. You will need to be able to evaluate, interpret different types of data, and analyse information.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holmes Chapel Comprehensive School directly.