Sport, Coaching and Exercise Level 2 Diploma at Bridgwater College
This course is designed for anyone with a keen interest in sport and the sports performer and wants to follow an exciting and rewarding career within the sport, health, leisure and coaching industries. Students will develop an understanding in many of the underlying principles to success in sport, including training programmes, the human body and how it responds to exercise. The course involves various practical elements; therefore a keen motivation to participate in a variety of sports is essential.
This course combines the theory and practice of sport and active leisure. You will study six different subject areas.
- Anatomy & Physiology for sport: aims for you to learn how the body functions and linking this knowledge to exercise.
- Psychology for sport performance: explores how concepts such as motivation, personality, and aggression can impact on sport performance and identify ways to make it work.
- Planning & Leading sports activities: aims to develop your communication and organisational skills to plan and lead activities such as mini or adapted games, main sports (team, invasion, racket) taking into consideration your group’s needs.
- Business Skills in sport: provide you with an insight into the basic business principles and dealing with customers when working within the sport and active leisure industry.
- Nutrition for sport performance: makes you realise how important nutrition is to perform in sport.
- Planning and running a major sport event: will enable you to learn the concepts and management skills needed to plan and run sports events.
- At least 5 GCSEs grades in the A* - E range, with at least one at grade C or above,
- Or equivalent vocational qualifications
- Or progress from an appropriate Level 1 vocational style programme.
Assessments are continuous throughout the course and are achieved via a variety of assessment methods - coursework, written reports, delivery of practical sessions, practical performance, observations, group work, presentations, etc.
The course aims to prepare you to progress onto the two year Level 3 Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science or Level 3 Diploma in Coaching, Development and Fitness.
Alternatively, successful completion of the L2 Diploma in Sport, Coaching and Exercise can also allow you to progress onto the following study programmes:
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Coaching Football in Community Settings
- BTEC L3 Public and Emergency Services
- CYQ Level 2 Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction Diploma
- Sport Apprenticeship programmes
There are also possibilities of progressing directly into the Sports and Active Leisure industry as a Leisure Assistant or similar roles.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.