Computing Level 2 Extended Certificate at City College Plymouth
This exciting study programme will challenge and expand your knowledge of information and creative technology (ICT), including hardware and software. Companies are very selective and now expect their IT employees to not only possess technical, but also interpersonal and team working skills. Our study programme will set you up with the basics from which you can either join a company at trainee level, or progress to other courses within the College.
- The Online World. You will investigate the inherent dangers in the widespread use of social networking websites and security associated with the use of e-mail. You will also consider how current legislation attempts to protect personal data.
- Technology Systems. This is an introduction to the underpinning knowledge and understanding of how technology systems work. The technological focus is on the types of hardware devices which combine to create a technology system.
- Digital Portfolio. In the age of cloud storage, you will design a digital portfolio. The content of your portfolio will show a range of your IT skills and experience.
- Creating Digital Animation. This unit gives you an excellent opportunity to demonstrate both technical and creative skills and to showcase your talents by including the completed products in your digital portfolio.
- Creating Digital Graphics. Modern movies and computer games like ‘Avatar’ make use of extensive Digital Graphics, and you too can learn this skill!
- Creating Digital Audio. Digital audio is integrated into many media arenas today such as animations, games and mobile apps, podcasts, radio adverts and interviews, music tracks and sound effects for games. On this course you will learn all about this medium and how to use it.
- Creating Digital Video. Watching TV and viewing videos on the internet and technology is a part of everyday life. Now you will learn how to create stunning videos and maybe even earn money on Youtube!
- Mobile Apps Development. Smartphone are ‘now’ tools with a growing market and you will learn the theoretical elements of mobile application development, as well as the practical implementation of these skills.
- Website Development. The aim of this unit is to give you the knowledge of how websites are used and created for the purpose of a business tool. You will gain developmental skills required to design and create a multiple page website.
- Computer Systems. Ever wanted to work inside a PC? Want to carry out basic installation and configuration? The skills you will be introduced to will help you understand the basic hardware and software components that make up a computer system.
- Functional Skills. Functional Skills are the essential skills needed for English, maths and ICT, vital for anyone to participate in life, learning and work.
- Work Experience. As part of all learning programmes we will undertake work experience to support the skills you have learnt.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
Four GCSEs at grade D-F, to include English and maths.
Adult applicant skills will be assessed by interview.
Two externally marked exams are part of the course, all other units are assessed internally.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- a level 3 ICT course, such as the Games Development Diploma or IT Diploma.
- Apprenticeships in ICT
- a level 3 diploma in ICT, Games Creation or Multimedia
- enter into employment at trainee level as a games tester, games designer or software developer.
You can see how this course fits within our other courses by looking at our "Course Progression Map".
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.